What would you like most for Mother's Day?
My husband asked me recently, "Is there anything you'd like for Mother's Day?" I had no response. While we are a family that love celebrations, rather then being filled with pomp and circumstance, it's usually fairly informal. We try to do something together as a family, a special meal and an outing - typically a hike. Sometimes there are gifts but there have been some bleary eyed years when cards and gifts are forgetten and it is never a big deal. But I do appreciate nice functional gifts. My husband's question did get me thinking, here are a few ideas:
- Though extremely utilitarian but on the high end of the price spectrum is an Xtracycle. Mine was a Mother's Day gift four years and has literally changed my life. I was able to transport kids, groceries, and gear effectively and efficiently. Expediency is questionable and highly dependent on hills.
- Recently, I was given a pair of Bogs rain boots and it's made being outdoors watching muddy baseball games tolerable. While the rest of my body may be freezing, my feet are nice and toasty. I am looking forward to having a pair of comfortable boots to slosh around at soccer games and running errands next fall/winter.
- I also enjoy running; and music during a solo run is a mama's best companion. My iPod Nano and Nike+ is great for early training runs when the company of another mama is not possible. I also like the ease of something else tracking and aggregating my time and pace.
- How about the gift of running with hundreds of other fellow mamas? There are the handful of fun running events for the active mama like Run Mama Run, Run Like a Mother,or Hippie Chick Half.
- Above everything else, sleeping in and being served breakfast in bed is priceless. Nothing compares to this simple gift of a homemade meal and squeals of delight coming from the kids as they help out in the kitchen.
It's the thought that counts, but do you have any favorite Mother's Day gifts or traditions?