It is time: Kindergarten Round-Up 2011
Last year around this time (and every year around this time, for that matter), parents around Portland start thinking about schools. It's Round-Up time. The Portland Public School district offers "school choice", allowing any student in the district to apply to attend any other school in the district. There are lotteries, magnets, charters, focus programs, mandatory information sessions. It is dizzying. We are lucky if we have the time to consider all of these options. Many of us do not.
Here are some resources to get you started:
- PPS Round-Up Calendar (*pdf). We've started adding all of the round-up sessions to the urbanMamas calendar, so look there, too.
- urbanMamas School Connections forum, where parents have been connecting & sharing resources regarding specific schools
- PPS January 2011 announcement on the upcoming transfer season, including dates for info sessions and deadlines.
- an archived very heated) discussion on charter schools, school choice, and neighborhood schools.
- perhaps you are thinking of starting your child in kindergarten early or young?
- perhaps you are thinking of holding your child back another year?
- perhaps you are considering a non-neighborhood school and wonder about the sense of community?
- there is so much in the urbanMamas schools archive. Have a look.
If you have a child transferring/entering school next year, have you started to consider all the options? Or perhaps forgo considering the options and attend the neighborhood school?