Activistas: What's going on these days?
Been over to Activistas lately? We've been talking and acting, acting and talking again over there. Here's the short & sweet which, honestly, is about all any of us have time for! Enjoy, and jump in - we'd love to hear your opinions on the topics we're discussing. Such as....
- Mamas on a mission: Place to nurse @ The Portland Zoo? To those who know me, it's no secret that the zoo is so not on my list of places to visit (the obvious reasons). But The Portland Zoo is very much on the list for many a nursing mother in Oregon. Yet there's nowhere to nurse!
- School funding in Oregon: This *is* that rainy day. The good news is that the state of Oregon actually has a rainy day fund that can be used for K-12 education. The bad news is that it may not get used, despite the fact that it's, uh, really raining. And I don't mean literally, although that happens to be true, too.
- Make a 'Healthy Begins Here' video... and Win! Healthy Child, Healthy World is hosting a video contest for earth month, where you can showcase how your family protects the planet. Get the details on Activistas.
- National Healthy Schools Day was 4.27.09. When my husband and I first toured schools to find the one we wanted to enroll our daughter in, I’m sure I was silently voted one of the strangest parents ever. Why do I feel I was secretly endowed with this title? Because every room and hallway we were taken through, I sniffed. A lot.
- State-subsidized child care in Oregon: What up? We've talked about child care costs (many a time) before, but not from this angle. In addition to this message we received yesterday from an Oregon Mom, we also read about the state's proposed cuts - and how they will affect Oregon families and kids - on The Oregonian's Stump blog today.
- Did you know that Tuesday 4.28.9 was Equal Pay Day? Instead of whining about the fact that pay remains unequal, or writing gobs about how to fix it, check out this video from a recent gathering of Emerge Oregon. What's Emerge Oregon and what does it have to do with equal pay day? Emerge Oregon is a new organization with this admirable mission...