This week on Activistas
- Paid family leave in Oregon: A chance to learn & act. Parents for Paid Leave is hosting two family-friendly, casual events this coming weekend. We'll watch a short documentary about Portland parents working for paid leave, call and write our legislators, and get free professional pics of you & the kids for our grassroots postcard campaign.
- Stand up for safe children's products in Salem - Thursday, 3.12 noon to 1. We've written a lot about phthalates and BPA and the risks they pose. We've been angered by their use in products intended for babies and kids. We've lamented the serious and irreversible health effects associated with these toxins. And now is our time to TAKE ACTION!
- NW milk bank in the works: Get involved! This is great. Way back in 2007 we talked about milk banks and thought what a great opportunity it would be for a Portland mamapreneur. And good news! There's one in the works, thanks to a dedicated group of local moms.
- Industrial pollution doesn't have to start in the womb. The Environmental Working Group (EWG) is working hard to pass the Kid-Safe Chemicals Act in Congress. Kid-Safe would overhaul the outdated and ineffective Toxic Substances Control Act that we've talked about here before.
- Moms Rising says: Tell your state legislators to support paid family leave now! If you're a member of Moms Rising then you already saw this. We're thrilled that they sent an email to their Oregon members urging us to email our state legislators to support paid family leave NOW!
The exciting thing about all this is there's a lot happening to improve the public policies that affect family life in the U.S. And the more of us that are involved, the more improvement we're likely to see. No time like the present!