What's Going on at Activistas?
- OMamas discusses bennies of longer maternity leaves. Surprise!!! Longer maternity leaves result in healthier babies and moms. No, way! I never woulda guessed.
- Washington Post article highlights other online activist moms. Good news! Activistas are all the rage. And effective, to boot. The Washington Post's recent article on politically active moms who connect online sounds really familiar, except the group highlighted in the article ponders issues beyond the family.
- Tell Congress to Vote for = Pay! It's about time! Did you know that the Center for American Progress Action Fund has found that pay discrimination will cost the average woman $434,000 over a forty year period?
- Get yer padnuh to join up! Facebook, that is. Ok, so the Parents for Paid Leave Facebook group is g-r-o-w-i-n-g. Good news, right? Right. Except. It's 90% women. Where are the men?
- Vote to Save Handmade Toys. We recently posted about our concerns with the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA). As we get closer to the implementation this new law, there is a growing anxiety in the local, handmade craft community.
- Parents for Paid Leave: Time to kick it up a notch, mamas! So we've been meeting monthly since April and the state legislature opens for lawmaking next week. We're excited to make the most of our second chance to have a paid family leave program in Oregon, what would be the 3rd in the nation.
What's on yours?