Kidical Mass: coming to a neighborhood near you
** updated with new ride locations ** check back for full route details **
photo credit: Jonathan Maus of bikeportland.org
Critial Mass started with a group of 45 people in San Francisco in 1992. Now, the ride is a monthly event in cities all around the world to celebrate cycling and to assert cyclists’ right to the road.
Of course, We here at urbanMamas believe that kids and families are cyclists too! A very new effort to this end has started in Eugene, OR in August 2008. Kidical Mass is a ride to help kids and families feel comfortable riding on our streets, especially as a larger group. Here in Portland, we’ve already had two successful Kidical Mass rides, both starting in the North Park Blocks in downtown Portland. Rides are being organized in Tulsa, OK, Ashland, OR, Bend, OR, and Toronto, Canada.
We want to bring Kidical Mass to our neighborhoods. urbanMamas is organizing Kidical Mass rides in N/NE Portland, SE Portland, and NW Portland (the original Portland Kidical Mass ride).
What will you expect at Kidical Mass?
- A safety talk before we start riding
- A 3-4 mile guided ride on our neighborhood streets
- No child left behind! We will make sure we have a sweeper biker to bring up the rear
- Tons of families and children riding with trailers, Xtracycles, tag-alongs/trail-a-bikes, bike seats, and kids riding on their own bikes
- Maps, brochures, information, bike decor for the kids
- A post-ride potluck picnic at the park where we can meet other urbanFamilies and chat about our summers, bike rides, and other Portland family fun
What should you bring?
- Tricked out and decorated bikes. Bring your bike bling!
- Your helmets
- A picnic for your family post-ride
- Bring something to share, if you wish!
Mark your calendars now:
Kidical Mass in Portland's neighborhoods
Friday, August 15th
N/NE: Peninsula Park (meet at the NE corner of the park at N. Rosa Parks and N. Kerby). The ride will run South on N. Kerby, west on N. Ainsworth, north on Delaware to Arbor Lodge Park, then loop back to Peninsula Park for potluck picnicking.
SE: Sellwood Park by the pool. The ride will head north up the Springwater Corridor then back into North Sellwood. Perfect for those pulling trailers or bringing little ones on their micro bikes. Maps will be available for folks.
NW: North Park Blocks (meet by the playground)
SW: Meeting at Capitol Hill Elemenetary and ride a total of 1.4 miles to Gabriel Park. At Gabriel Park there will be watermelon (and possibly a watermelon drop?) and a potluck. Bring your bikes. Bring some food and drink. Oh, and bring your kids to KIDICAL MASS!
6:15PM Safety Talk & Ride!
7:00PM Post-Ride Potluck Picnic
Can't make it for the ride? Bring out your family and feel free to join us for the post-ride potluck picnic. It's open to all! Planning to come? RSVP in the comments for any of the rides. We want to know how many bikey treats & swag to bring. Want to help guide, plan, or organize a ride? Shoot us an email at urbanMamas@gmail.com