Alert: Time for Safety Talks
Since last Thursday, I have now received this email five different times from different circles of Portland parents. We have used the occassion to remind ourselves and our children about our safety talk. Here is the email that came directly from the mama who recounted the scenario:
I want to share with all of you something that happened with my 4 & 6yr old boys at Wilshire Park this past Tuesday, July 22nd. Please take this information and share it with everyone you know.
Everyone was having a good time running around and I was visiting with friends. I was lucky enough to look up just as my two boys were walking out of the park with a man we did not know. To make a long story short, the man asked my older son what his brothers name was and then said, 'Come on Max, follow me.' I confronted the man and was able to provide a good description of him on my 911 call because of it. The police called me as they were questioning him and informed me that 'He has a history of this sort of thing dating back to 1999.' The officer made sure this individual knows they are not welcome in the park and he told all the other parents to please call 911 if they ever see him there again. Turns out he also lives a ways down our street, NE Skidmore and I believe the lower 50's. As you know, Wilshire is on Skidmore between 33rd & 37th.
Here's his description...
- MOST DISTINCTIVE FEATURE**He has long to the waist length dreadlocks mostly grey, but some dark.
- No taller than 5'10'
- Olive skinned caucasian or perhaps greek, middle eastern with dark eyes, possibly glasses
- Age anywhere between 38-48, hard to tell possibly older
- Slight build in weight
- Told boys he was a football player (they were playing football), he was wearing a retro 70's like orange cotton football jersey, camoflauge pants
- Had a 9 or 10 yr old heavy set caucasian child with him that looked like a girl (long hair. almost mullet style) but was actually a boy who engaged my children to play football with him. This is the child of one of his housemates.
PLEASE SHARE THIS INFO WITH EVERYONE AND DON'T BE AFRAID TO CALL 911 & REPORT SEEING HIM PARTICULARLY IF HE IS IN A PLACE FREQUENTED BY CHILDREN! We were lucky this time. Please help keep this person from being able to attempt this again.