Summer, Parks, Sun, Fun - 2008
It is so hard to think that school is out and summer fun is set to begin. Nothing but grey, but - come July - all that grey will be worth it, right? Portland summers are gorgeous.
Beyond clear blue skies, sunshine, and temps in the sweet spot of the 70s, Portland has free entertainment and activities throughout the summer months - fun for all ages and in all parts of the city.
- Pools throughout the city will host Fun Days, Itty Bitty Beach Parties, Teen Swim Parties, Parent Appreciation Day (July 19th at All Pools), and Dive-In Movies (featuring the "Bee Movie"). The full schedule here.
- Summer Movies at the Park start mid-July and run into September. Movies start at dusk and happen in parks all throughout the city.
- Traveling Rock Walls - we haven't found too much info about the traveling rock wall, but if it's anything like it sounds, it's bound to be fun for the climb-lovers among us. Looks like the rock wall will make appearances at community centers and parks throughout the city.
- Summer Playgrounds start on June 19th, offering daily drop-in recreation for kids aged 5-12 including games, sports, and arts & crafts at 23 parks throughout the city. Free lunches for kids will be available daily midday at 17 parks.
- Mobile Playgrounds come to a neighborhood near you! Four fun vehicles will circulate throughout town every day of the week. Print out the schedule and keep it handy.
- And, of course, the summer concert schedule 2008 is out. The line up is full with talented performers representing a breath of styles, including the Portland Festival Symphony. We love seeing friends and neighbors at the park, some of whom it seems we only see at the summer concerts.
- Oregon Symphony hosts concerts in the neighborhood, this year in late August at Mt. Scott Park and Tom McCall Waterfront park
- Regal Films offers free movies (rated G and PG) on Tuesday and Wednesdays from July through mid-August. Showtimes are 10am. A movie theater is a great respite from the heat on hot summer days. A complete schedule here: http://www.regmovies.com/nowshowing/familyfilmfestivalschedule.aspx?state=OR
We have other summer favorites, which are not FREE, but still worth the honorable mention:
- Oregon Zoo Concerts - featuring Wednesday night Zoo Tunes (free for Zoo members level "plus" and higher or $10 admission) and "Premium" concerts (running $17-24 admission)
- Kruger's Farm Concerts - happen on Thursdays in July and August from 6:30-9:30pm. Admission is $10 per car and new this year is a $50 season pass.
With all this activity, you wonder: how will I ever keep track? Not to fret our beleoved mamas. The *entire* Summer Concert Series is already on the urbanMamas calendar, and we'll be sure to get up all the aforementioned fun stuffs onto the calendar lickity split. Have some summer fun to add? Email us at urbanMamas@gmail.com and tell us: "Put this on the urbanMamas calendar!"