Wish lists: for our mama community
Things have not been (how shall I say?) "easy" for me this year, and talking with other mamas, I find that several of us have had an unfortunate Year: 2007. The Golden Pig may be auspicious, but it hasn't been working out great for us.
While we all hope that our fates will re-align come 2008, I find myself often both asking and (not) answering the question, "what can I do to help?" and finding that it's a difficult topic. What can we do? Often, the thing we need is harder than the reason for needing it. If I could get a wish this holiday season, it might be something like this:
- If it's late at night, and you're scared about pregnancy/labor/a
strange rash, don't be afraid to call and ask me to give advice/get
medicine/make you feel not so alone.
- Come over and watch the boys for a half-hour so I can get out of the house.
- Appear at my door with fresh-baked treats.
- If you see me headed to the store/coffee shop, ask me to pick something up for you. I won't mind.
- When I ask how you are, be honest. Let me help.
- Never mind the state of my bathroom.
- Take my children to your house to play, sometimes. Be patient with them, even if I can't.
- Know that I thank you, that I feel your gratitude too, that there is no need for cards, unless sending them makes you happy.
What's your wish for your community?