January 28, 2009
Who We Are
Portland Circle of Friends and Family Preschool has been in existence as a cooperative preschool in Portland, Oregon since the fall of 1996. The preschool is operated by parents and continues to provide a valuable education service, at a low cost, to families within the community.
Circle of Friends offers an experiential hands-on learning environment, encouraging independence, positive social interactions and meaningful learning experiences.
We believe in helping children build high self-esteem in a non-competitive atmosphere, an atmosphere where personal challenges are valued as a natural happening from which we learn. We believe that helping children learn to accept what is beautifully unique about themselves, others and the world around them, is of primary importance.
Our Guidance Policy
Our guidance policy is based on a problem-solving technique, which empowers children to find creative solutions to the situations they encounter. One teacher and two parents work together each day to provide a warm and caring learning environment. A family's participation in their child's education is vital and enriches it far beyond that of the teacher's involvement alone.
How We Operate
The school term begins in September and continues through June. Our Caterpillar class for ages 2-3 meets on Tuesdays and Thursdays and our Butterfly class for children ages 4-5 meets Monday, Wednesday & Friday. Children need not be potty-trained to enroll in either class.
The responsibility for the preschool’s educational program is a continuous cooperative effort between the teacher and the co-op members. No one within the school is paid except the professional teacher. The teacher and board members hold a fall orientation and assist parents/guardians in continuing their education. Because we are a cooperative, we practice shared ownership of the school and every member shares in the investment and ownership of the cooperative.
A Cooperative Preschool Defined
A cooperative preschool is a program that is operated by a group of parents who take an active interest in their children's first educational experience. Parents help the teacher in the classroom, are given opportunities for education, and are involved in decision making.
Because we are a cooperative preschool we rely heavily on our parents' involvement. We feel that the investment of a parent or guardian's time is far more important than that of their money. Therefore, we strive to keep our tuition low and family involvement high.
Benefits of a Cooperative Preschool for Parents/Guardians
- Participation in their children's education away from home.
- A better understanding of their children's individuality through observing them with other children their age.
- A voice in school decisions and policy making
- Education in child development and parenting skills at family meetings, PCPO conferences, and through publications.
- Mutual understanding and moral support from other families with similar concerns, interests and problems.
Benefits of a Cooperative Preschool for Children
- A teacher who works with their parents to encourage their sense of self-esteem and self-confidence.
- An above average adult to child ratio.
- Children of similar ages with whom to play and learn.
- Respect for the differences and right of others.
- A feeling of community and togetherness.
- Field trips
- A positive attitude toward future school attendance.
Our Caterpillar Class (2 and 3 year olds) meets on Tuesday and Thursday.
Our Butterfly Class (4 and 5 year olds) meets on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
Portland Circle of Friends and Family Preschool
9015 SE Rural ~ Room #2
Fax (attn: Circle of Friends): 503-916-5762