Win 1 free week of our Nature Discovery (children ages 4 and 5) or Explorers (K-1) half-day Camps or 1 free week of Wildlife Rangers full-day camps (grades 1-5)! Friends of Tryon Creek (FOTC) camps are a fun way for kids to actively challenge their minds and bodies and use their creativity and imaginations in a natural setting. Each camp offers unique, age-appropriate activities that expose children to new and exciting outdoor adventures in a safe and friendly environment. Here are the top three reasons to choose our camps this summer:
Real Ecological Experiences:
- While experiencing fun and adventure in the forest, campers will be picking up a wealth of ecological knowledge.
- Staff members are educated in the biological sciences and have a contagious passion for nature.
- The fun hikes and hands-on explorations are grounded in engaging scientific practices. Our programs focus on a child-centered process of discovery that will prove incredibly enriching for your camper.
Fun for All Ages:
- Campers as young as four years old can attend our Nature Day Camps and start developing a love of nature and curiosity for the natural world.
- Children ages four through 5th grade can attend our half- or full-day camps located here at Tryon Creek State Natural Area.
- Teens can participate in our Assistant Counselor program and work alongside the camp staff, gaining valuable leadership and teaching skills.
Highly Qualified Staff:
- Our day camp instructors are professional environmental educators who come to us with a great mix of experience working with kids and ecological training.
- FOTC instructors go through a lengthy interview process and background check, attend a week-long training and are first aid and CPR certified.
- All of our instructors are enthusiastic to share their passion for nature with your camper!
Each camper that attends at least 3 of the 5 themes will earn their Wildlife Ranger Certification. This certification comes with a special ceremony (separated by age groups), prize, and a number of perks for campers and parents.
Locations and Class Schedules
The Friends of Tryon Creek’s Nature Day Camps meet at the visitor’s center in Tryon Creek State Natural Area. Map and directions can be found here and the camp schedule and online registration can be found here.